Thursday, July 26, 2012

Nojiri - July 21~25


The last leg of our trip was the most relaxing.  We joined Joy’s family at their Nojiri Lake cabin.  Nojiri is nestled in the mountains, across Honshu (the skinny way) from Tokyo, not too far from the Japan Sea.  It’s a place my parents took our family a couple of times when I was very young, about 7 and 8.  My memories of it were vague, but fond.  Many of my friends grew up going there regularly, so I also feel a little connected to it through their stories, too.


Joy’s husband, Yuichi, came to Tokyo so he could drive us all back to Nojiri on Saturday morning.  We arrived about noon, settled into the cabin, felt ourselves embraced all around by gentle nature and surrendered to relaxation until we had to tear ourselves away on Wednesday morning.


Let me summarize...

~A beautiful mountain setting, lush forest and a warm (by NW standards), inviting lake.


~Cool air, rain on the roof, sunshine.


~Good company, warm & generous hospitality (perhaps a second family?), and new friends.


~Long, luxuriant home-cooked dinners, good soba and great sushi.


~Games, darts, music, sake, talking, laughing, swimming day & night, hanabi (fire crackers), ping pong, trampoline, long walks.


~Morning ofuro (bath) with a fabulous view.


~St. Cousair Winery & exotic sorbet.


~Artist town of Obuse with galleries (including Yuichi’s workshop & showroom) and gardens.  Did I mention that Yuichi is a sculptor?


~Ninja School.  Really.  Well, it was.  Now it’s sort of an obstacle course/amusement park for kids, young and old.



Julia’s observation on Wednesday morning, as we were packing up to return to Tokyo, reflected my feelings as well.  “I’m so happy we’re going home tomorrow but I just hate leaving!”


Here are a few photos from our time at Nojiri.


Here’s hanging out with the family:









Darts





Here’s the lake and surroundings:











Activities:







St. Cousair Winery:




Obuse Gardens & Studio:



Meiko & Joy


Yuichi in His Sculpting Studio



Ninja School:

First of all, let me introduce:  The Chibi-Ninja (Mini-Ninjas)
Hmmm.  Do you think this would be allowed in the US?


Chibi--Ninja prancing on a roof, no less!

Class Picture (of the survivors)
Bigger Ninja.  Costumes not compulsory.

I love it... Ninja Slalom.
I overheard a conversation.  Visitor: I see you've put in tracks for the slalom.  There didn't used to be any.
Ticket Taker:  Yeah, we had to.  There were just too many injuries without them.





This is the only one where there is actually sort of a net below.

Hiding Gate

Shuriken

Crazy Girls



Tippy Room where the ball rolls up the upper bannister.
Not sure what the purpose is... To practice sideways walking?



And that’s a wrap for Nojiri.  On Wednesday we took the train back to Tokyo and prepared for our Thursday departure for Japan.


Before my final reflections, though, I’m going to post a number of sets of photos that I can’t resist sharing, but haven’t found a way to incorporate so far.  Please indulge me!

No comments:

Post a Comment