Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sapporo Tourists - July 14


Today, we just played tourist.  There were so many things we could have done, but rather than zoom around all over town like maniacs, I decided we should keep it simple and close to the center of town.  So we strolled in Odori Park with the TV Tower at one end, and found the old Clock Tower (oldest building in Sapporo and all that remains of the former Sapporo Agricultural College, now Hokkaido University).  



Odori Park & the TV Tower

Odori Park


Odori Park
I remember this statue!

The Historical Clock Tower


We went into the Mitsukoshi Department Store for old time’s sake, then explored the “new” (well, new within the last 35 years) underground shopping areas.  


Sapporo Station

We surfaced at Sapporo Station, which had also had a face-lift since I lived there.  I wanted to go, mainly because I wanted post cards of Sapporo and hadn’t found any so far.  I thought surely...  But I’m telling you, there was not a post card of Sapporo to be had!  I wonder where they’re stashing them!  


Downtown Sapporo Street Corner
(Snow Brand Products... and The Lion King)












Finally, we browsed a little at a shopping arcade called Tanuki-koji that I remembered and it - amazingly - looked very much the same!

Tanuki-koji Shopping Arcade
Just as I remembered it!


Then it was time to go back to the hotel to meet Nakai-sensei.  Ms. Nakai was the HIS Japanese language teacher when I went there.  Most of our education was in English, but since we were living in Japan, Japanese language was a compulsory class.  She had the challenging job of often having to work with radically differing levels of ability in any given class.  But somehow she managed, and somehow, she also conveyed her love.  Although we lost touch for a long time, we somehow reconnected.  That was quite awhile ago now, and we have been writing to each other once a year or so since.  I really wanted a chance to see her in person again.  Friends of hers were kind enough to bring her to our hotel, as she felt it would be too difficult for us to find where she lived.  As it turns out, she’s almost blind, has cancer and uses a walker to slowly move about.  But she’s still sharp as a tack, has a very clear memory of people and events, and was in very good spirits.  And as with Sachiko, I was touched that she seemed to be as happy to see me as I was to see her.  We chatted and laughed and carried on for about an hour while her friends and Julia kindly and patiently indulged us.  Ms. Nakai brought pictures from the old HIS days to show me, then ended up giving me some, to my delight.  It was clear then, that she was tiring, so we brought our visit lovingly to a close.  I was so very, very thankful for the opportunity to see her again and let her know how much she meant to me.


Later, Julia and I went for a stroll in Nakajima-koen (park).  It was absolutely lovely, and as dusk fell, we found ourselves a small traditional little noodle shop in the park where we ate our dinner, before rolling off to bed.

Nakajima Koen

Sapporo Concert Hall, Nakajima Koen



Just before going to bed, as we were looking out at the city lights, we discovered fireworks going off against the night sky.  What a nice way to wrap up our last night in Sapporo, Hokkaido!




1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing these pictures! I remember all those landmarks in Odori Park! Hostel street is shockingly unrecognizable, though. Nice to see Nakai sansei, too.

    ReplyDelete